Tyson Fury has backtracked on his decision to rule out a December bout with Anthony Joshua after giving his rival until the end of Thursday to agree terms.
WBC champion Fury opened the door for a ‘Battle of Britain’ with Joshua last month after it became clear a unification bout against Oleksandr Usyk would not occur this year.
After weeks of talks between the fighters’ camps, however, Fury said on Monday any chance of the pair meeting was “officially over” after his self-imposed deadline was not met.
But Fury set Joshua, who has lost three of his past five fights, a new deadline in his latest video message on social media that was directed at the two-time world champion.
“My promoter Frank Warren convinced me to let Queensberry [Warren’s company] carry on negotiating with your team this week, despite me knowing you were never going to do this fight,” Fury said.
“So the deadline was Monday. I allowed Frank to continue doing meetings with your team and your broadcasters and all that.”
Fury said the broadcasters were “all on the same page”.
“They are happy with everything, they are all ready to rock and roll,” he added.
“You guys ask for a lot of stuff. You want to be co-promoters when you’re a voluntary challenger. Guess what, I said give it them, let them be co-promoters.
“You wanted full transparency, even though you’re not an equal shareholder in this party. You know what I said? Give them full transparency, I’ve got nothing to hide.
“I’m not trying to rob anybody, I’ve not robbed anybody of a penny in my life. Now you’ve got full transparency, everything is clean and fair. Joshua, the ball is really in your court.”
Fury revealed earlier this month that he has offered Joshua a 60-40 purse split in a bid to get the heavyweight title fight made after years of build-up.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn said last week an initial contract offer sent by Fury’s camp was not acceptable, but the parties were “working positively” to reach an agreement.
That led to Fury making his ultimatum to Joshua to sign the contract by Monday or forget about a fight, which had been set to be held in Cardiff’s Principality Stadium.
“Everybody is done,” Fury added in his Twitter post. “If you’re a man, and if you’ve got any sort of dignity and pride about you, you’ll get this contract signed today. This is it.
“There is no more days, weeks, months, you’ve had the contract now for over two weeks and you still haven’t signed it.
“Show the public that you’re really the big coward that I know you are, and don’t sign it. I don’t care either way if you sign it or you don’t, it makes no difference to me at all.
“You’re a beaten man and I’m a world champion. I’m chucking you a massive bone, but I know I can punch a face in so I’m willing to give you an opportunity.
“There’s nothing more to do, everyone is happy. Get your team onto mine, they will be available all day, like they’ve been available the last two weeks. Get this contract signed!
“Let the British fans have what they want. There is no running, you have to fight me. You cannot escape. The Fury is coming.”